For couples who want to end their marriage as quickly as possible, a bifurcated divorce may be the answer. Because bifurcated divorces are not common, however, if you are considering one you should consult with a divorce attorney who is experienced in this type of legal action. At Orlando Family Team, we have extensive experience in all types of divorce proceedings, so contacting us at the outset will make matters much less complicated.
What is a bifurcated divorce?
Bifurcated means “split” into two parts. A bifurcated divorce is divided into  a legal severing of marital ties and  a settlement of other issues, such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.
When both spouses agree that divorce is necessary and desired, a bifurcated divorce enables spouses to regain single status before they address the intricacies of other divorce arrangements. This speeds up the process since property and support issues typically take much longer to resolve.
While bifurcated divorces are not allowed in all states, Florida law permits them under certain circumstances. It takes the in-depth knowledge of a bifurcated divorce attorney to navigate the process efficiently and effectively.
Most bifurcated divorces we hear about involve celebrities and people with high assets. This is partly because of the tax advantages and partly because bifurcated divorces cost more than ordinary divorce proceedings. It should be noted that since Florida is a no-fault state, neither party needs to show cause for the divorce beyond the fact that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.” There are, however, some complex prerequisites for bifurcated divorces that you will need experienced attorneys to unravel.
Reasons Couples Seek Bifurcated Divorces
For some divorcing couples, bifurcated divorces offer several advantages, including:
- Ability to move on quickly or to remarry, no longer bound legally to the ex-spouse
- Emotional freedom of rapidly disconnecting legally from a spouse who may have been unfaithful, abusive, cold, or undependable
- Ability to separate from your spouse without losing benefits, e.g. health insurance, pension, or Social Security benefits.
- Providing time for complex assets to be valued and distributed fairly (e.g. real estate, vehicles, business interests, artwork, or valuable collections)
- Permitting you to file taxes as single, not married, before all property matters are settled
- Removing the option of your spouse to delay proceedings as leverage to get you to agree to undesirable terms through emotional blackmail
- Allowing you to become legally single without waiving any rights to property or child custody arrangements
- Preventing the automatic stay of a bankruptcy that could halt the divorce process until the bankruptcy is finalized
- Ability to disconnect from an extremely unstable spouse; for example, one who is addicted to alcohol, drugs, or gambling or is involved in criminal behavior
- Ability to alter an estate plan if you have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and want to disinherit a spouse you no longer love
Is there any reason not to choose a bifurcated divorce?
The one major drawback to choosing a bifurcated divorce is that this type of divorce will be more expensive because of higher attorneys’ fees and court costs. Still, in some circumstances, it may be cost-effective in the long run.
In other cases, the emotional and legal relief a bifurcated divorce provides makes it well worth the cost. The savvy bifurcated divorce lawyers at Orlando Family team will clarify the specifics of your case to determine whether bifurcated divorce is a good choice in your particular case.
What the Bifurcated Divorce Attorneys at Orlando Family Team Will Do for You
You can always count on our dedicated attorneys to handle all aspects of your divorce, whether it is bifurcated or not. We know how distressing divorce can be and will do everything in our power to make the process go smoothly. You can count on us to:
- Be compassionate about your situation, aware that divorce is a disturbing life change, especially if it involves children
- Explain divorce laws in Florida without relying on the legalese
- Offer you frank advice about difficulties you may encounter and help you handle them
- Be at your side throughout all negotiations, always looking out for your best interests and the best interests of your children
- Fight aggressively to protect your rights during litigation
Contact Our Experienced Orlando Bifurcated Divorce Attorneys Now
If you are considering a bifurcated divorce, our two accomplished attorneys are well-prepared to answer your questions and address your concerns. Once you get in touch with us, you will realize you have come to the right place. We are not only highly skilled lawyers but empathetic human beings. We have a history of providing a wide range of clients with the positive results they deserve. Contact us today so we can help you move forward with as little turmoil as possible.