Orlando Separation Agreements Attorney

couple arguing in family court over separation agreement

Ending a relationship can be a complicated process if you are married. Sometimes, you may wish to live separately to determine if you can work out your marital issues or if divorce is the best option. In other circumstances, you may be confident you want to dissolve your marriage but the process could take months to complete.

Whether you are separating as you move towards divorce or have decided on a trial separation, it could become important to create an agreement in order to protect your finances and your access to your children. Often, this is addressed in a prenuptial agreement. However, you and your spouse may create a post-nuptial agreements as well. You may also choose to create a property settlement agreement. If you need any of these legal agreements, the husband-and-wife family lawyers at Orlando Family Team can help you.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora and Andrew Nickolaou have worked together to use our extensive legal knowledge to fight aggressively on behalf of clients throughout Central Florida who are separating. Let us help you to get a separation agreement that protects you and your children. Give us a call today to find out about the services an Orlando separation agreements attorney can provide to you.

How can a Separation Agreements Attorney Help You?

You are not required to go through a formal legal separation process as a condition of divorce. While most couples do live separately prior to ending a marriage, you do not have to do this. In fact, unlike in other states, legal separation is not recognized in Florida.

You also don’t have to go to court and create a separation agreement just because you’ve decided to get divorced.

However, there are circumstances where a separation agreement makes sense. If you are concerned about having access to your children or the ability to make decisions on your child’s life, you may want a separation agreement to protect your rights to your kids. If you are worried about how the bills will be paid after divorce, you may want an agreement addressing financial issues.

It’s important to note that prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements and property settlement agreements are not truly enforceable until the divorce is filed. In an amicable separation, both parties may choose to live by the terms in these agreements until the divorce is finalized. However, if one party chooses not to, there is little legal recourse.

Nonetheless, creating separation agreements can be beneficial once the divorce is filed. An attorney can review the specifics of your situation and help you to determine if a separation agreement is a good idea to protect yourself once you are living independently.

An attorney can also help you to negotiate with your ex to draft a separation agreement that is fair to you and protective of your rights. The divorce process can take a very long time, especially if you cannot agree on a final settlement. You may have to live with the terms of the separation agreement for months, so you don’t just want to agree to anything. You want to ensure you have a contract that gives you time with you children and money to live on.

If you and your ex cannot come to an agreement and you need a separation agreement for financial or custodial issues, an attorney can also assist you in going to court and asking the family court judge to help you determine what terms will govern your divorce.

couple arguing in family court over divorce documents

Getting help from an Orlando Separation Agreements Attorney

When you have decided you are going to live independently from your ex, you should talk with an Orlando separation agreements attorney as soon as you can to determine what your best course of action is. Orlando Family Team is here and ready to help you protect your rights. Give us a call today to find out more. Contact us today!